I’ve spent most of my life with the door wide open.
Come on in. Sit down. Tell me your story. Bring your peculiarities, your opinions, your troubles, your questionable judgment. I’ve always found people fascinating, even when they were behaving like complete idiots.
Sometimes especially then.
I’ve welcomed people into my home, my life, and my heart without giving much thought to what they might be bringing along with them.
I’m giving it some thought now.
Not because I’ve stopped loving people. Quite the contrary. I still find humanity endlessly interesting, occasionally delightful, and frequently ridiculous.
But I’m beginning to understand that being openhearted doesn’t require being indiscriminately available.
There’s a difference between compassion and giving someone unlimited access to your peace.
I don’t need people to agree with me. Good Lord, what a boring little gathering that would be. I love a thoughtful disagreement. I love having my assumptions challenged. I love discovering that someone sees the world through an entirely different window.
What I don’t love is contempt disguised as conviction. Gossip disguised as concern. Drama disguised as friendship. Or people who seem incapable of enjoying a perfectly beautiful afternoon without dragging some fresh outrage into it.
I’ve had enough of that nonsense.
There’s a whole world outside my door. The hills are changing color. The birds are carrying on with their mysterious business. The sky over this ridge is enormous, and my remaining time beneath it is not an unlimited resource.
Neither is my attention.
I’m becoming more careful about what I allow into my life. The conversations. The noise. The obligations. The people who leave me feeling lighter and the ones who somehow manage to make a sunny afternoon feel like a hostage situation.
I want curiosity. Kindness. Humor. Thoughtfulness. People who can laugh at themselves. People who can sit quietly without needing to fill every silence with somebody else’s business.
People who understand that disagreement isn’t betrayal and friendship isn’t ownership.
I don’t intend to become suspicious or guarded or hard. That would be a terrible waste of everything life has taught me.
I still want the door open.
I just don’t intend to leave it swinging in the wind anymore.
There’s a difference between building walls and choosing who gets a key.
And at this point in my life, I’m finally learning that I get to choose.
The coffee will still be on.
The porch will still be waiting.
But the guest list is getting considerably more interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment